Every Nigerian must be interested in unity of the country says Ibrahim Sambo

Ibrahim Sambo is the founder of the Ibrahim Magnet Foundationm, an organisation centered on helping the underprivileged and youths educationally. In this interview by SEYI SOKOYA, the nurse-turned-oil merchant speaks on the way forward in the health and education sectors and his passion for serving humanity. Excerpts:

With your experience in the health sector, how would you assess health care system in the country?
I think it is unfortunate that at this time and age, the Nigerian health sector is going completely backwards. You can imagine by 2017 that majority of Nigerian elites still go abroad for medical treatments, this is unfortunate. 20 years back, we were far better than countries like Dubai and Saudi Arabia, especially with our oil boom. But the reverse is this case now. You can see that we are terribly backward in our health and educational systems. I am not impressed; we are all responsible as citizens and government. We cannot come out of this until we all have the culture of change. Nigeria can only experience tremendous growth if we remove tribal and religious sentiments. Corruption should also be wiped out completely and every Nigerian must be interested in the peace and unity of the country. I’m sure that Nigeria will overcome its challenges, mostly in its current economic recession soon if we collectively take these things into consideration.

What is your take on the clamours for restructuring?
It is good if we are going to restructure for the betterment of the nation. Our education and health sectors, which been my greatest concern and other sectors will enjoy a way forward if we genuinely restructure. We need to consider our culture and the zeal before restructuring. Our problem is not to restructure, but the culture of Nigerians; the leadership is not the problem, but Nigerians. If there is no sustained unity, anybody can destroy what has been restructured again. It is painful that the wellbeing or progress of the nation is not in the heart of many Nigerians. This is why some people find it difficult to support their immediate community and society at large.

What would you suggest to solve the rampant problem in the tertiary institutions?

Firstly, student unionism has to be well mannered and some lecturers should also shun the habit of cutting corners. We never experienced this during our days in school. I think all these must stop, because this should be an avenue where young Nigerians are being taught the right values which will make them contribute to the growth of the country. I want to advice the government to restore sanity in our educational system. I want to charge students across board to revive their reading culture.

Why are you passionate about supporting the underprivileged?

Unconsciously I found myself in the habit of helping my classmates facing financial problems which almost made them drop out of school during my school days. Also, the fact that I know what it takes for one to be educated propelled me into helping people, especially students whose parents can’t fund their education; we give them scholarships and we also make the needs of the underprivileged our priority. But we focus much on education because once you are educated, you will be able to fend for yourself and others. It is a basic foundation for everyone. This is why we have been supporting youths through education.

How have you been able to spread your gesture across the country?
I am not in the best position to say this or to quantify the lives I have touched through my passion. Those who have benefited or aware of our responsibilities through the initiative would have an appropriate response to that. What I know is that I will not relent irrespective of the challenges that come my way. We have helped students virtually in all the three geopolitical zones to any level of education they desire. We have some students who are studying abroad too. Aside this, we also influence our friends to give scholarships out in their respective areas. The gesture is not restricted to Nigeria alone; we are focusing on impacting lives across Africa. This is why we have set of a foundation tagged: “The Ibrahim Magnet Foundation” which is in two aspects (the needy and education scholarship).

Could your humanitarian services be linked to a political ambition?

Not at all; I am not a politician or a government worker. In fact, I am not interested in politics. I feel fulfilled in helping the downtrodden and I am doing this with all my passion and without any ulterior motive. I thank God for giving me the privilege in achieving this goal, especially in the area of education and empowerment. I am not even overwhelmed with the accolades and awards I am getting as a result of what I love to do, not to talk of having interest in politics. For instance, the National Association of Oduduwa Students (NAOS) recognised me as a great philanthropist based on my contributions in the educational sector in the South-West region. But when one is serving humanity, whatever comes out of it is from God. My interest is to serve people, as well as project a sane society.

Comments